He Known by the name as “Uncle Charlie” ,songwriter, record producer and the former lead vocalist of The Gap Band. As a solo artist he has been nominated for thirteen Grammy awards and ten NAACP Image Awards (including two wins), received a 2009 Soul Train Icon Award, and was a recipient of a BMI Icon Award in 2005. In 2009, he was named Billboard magazine’s No. 1 Adult R&B Artist, and his song “There Goes My Baby“ was named the No. 1 Urban Adult Song for 2009 in Billboard Magazine.
He Worked with a lot of artists such as Snoop Dogg , Pharrell , Kanye West , Jill Scott , R.Kelly , UGK , Mystikal among many others .
He also responsible for saving Snoop Dogg’s Marriage , Snoop and his wife, Shante, renewed their vows in April 2008 at Wilson’s 20 acre ranch outside of Los Angeles, CA. The event inspired the music video to Wilson’s hit “There Goes My Baby”,which featured the couple and was given to them as a gift symbolizing their relationship.
This is Charlie , Last Name Wilson .
Charles Kent Wilson was born in Tulsa, Oklahoma, on January 29, 1953 as the son of the Reverend Oscar Wilson, a minister in the Church of God in Christ. With his older brother Ronnie and younger brother Robert, Wilson often sang in church before their father’s Sunday sermons, accompanied on piano by their mother. He also sang in his junior high school’s choir, which was a precursor to his musical career with the Gap Band and later his solo career. He attended high school at Booker T. Washington. He attended Langston University and would go on to become drum major in the Langston University Marching Pride.
Faces of Prostate Cancer: Charlie Wilson
Charlie explains how he recovered from Prostate Cancer within a support from his wife :
The Gap Band
From the start of his career, Charlie and his brothers, Robert and Ronnie, helped define and popularize an upbeat form of funk music that was infectious and lasting with their group The Gap Band. The group’s songs such as “Outstanding”, “Party Train”, “Yearning for Your Love”, “Burn Rubber on Me”, “You Dropped a Bomb on Me”, and “Oops Upside Your Head” are among their immense catalog and some of the most sampled songs in music history. After 15 albums the Gap Band announced their retirement in 2010.
In 2010, Kanye West included Wilson on his CD, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. Wilson recorded over a dozen songs with Kanye and appeared on the following songs: “See Me Now”, with Kanye West featuring Beyoncé; “All of the Lights“, with Kanye West featuring Rihanna; “Lost in the World”, “Runaway”, and “Monster”, with Kanye West featuring Jay-Z, Nicki Minaj, and Rick Ross. In addition to these songs, Wilson appeared on five of the G.O.O.D. Friday Releases to promote the new CD including, “Lord, Lord, Lord” with Kanye West, featuring Mos Def, Swizz Beatz, Raekwon; and “Good Friday” with Common, Pusha T, Kid Cudi, and Big Sean. He also appears on “Bound 2“, the closer of Yeezus, West’s 2013 album. Altogether Charlie Wilson’s albums have sold over one million copies.
In 2018, Bruno Mars added Wilson to join him on the final leg of his 24K Magic Tour.
This Year 2020 . He Released a new song special for Valentine’s Day :
Support for American Servicemen and Women
In 2008, Wilson participated and performed on the ABC Television Special, America United: Supporting Our Troops, which was taped at Camp Pendleton, in California.
Wilson has made it his personal mission to support American troops, especially in the Middle East. He and his band have traveled to Kuwait and Iraq four times (2009, 2010, and twice in 2011), taking his critically acclaimed, high energy show to dozens of bases throughout both countries and giving American military members a “little taste of home.” Wilson’s November 2011 trip was in response to a special request by the U.S. Armed Forces for Wilson to return to the Middle East and perform at five bases in Kuwait for the thousands of troops stationed there.
Awards and nominations
Wilson has been nominated for thirteen Grammy Awards.
- 2018 Grammy Nomination – Best Traditional R&B Performance for “Made For Love”
- 2016 Grammy Nomination – Best R&B Album for Forever Charlie
- 2016 Grammy Nomination – Best Traditional R&B Performance for “My Favorite Part of You”
- 2015 Grammy Nomination – Best Rap Song (with Kanye West) for “Bound 2”
- 2015 Grammy Nomination – Best Rap/Sung Collaboration (with Kanye West) for “Bound 2”
- 2014 Grammy Nomination – Best Gospel Song for “If I Believe”
- 2012 Grammy Nomination – Best R&B Performance “You Are”
- 2012 Grammy Nomination – Best R&B Song for “You Are”
- 2010 Grammy Nomination – Best R&B Album for Uncle Charlie
- 2010 Grammy Nomination – Best Male R&B Vocal Performance for “There Goes My Baby”
- 2003 Grammy Nomination – Best Rap/Song Collaboration (with Pharrell & Snoop Dogg) for “Beautiful”
- 1997 Grammy Nomination – Best R&B Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocals (with Luke, Mr. X, Melle Mel, Yo-Yo, Chaka Khan, Da Luniz, Shaquille O’Neal, Quincy Jones & Coolio) for “Stomp”
- 1983 Grammy Nomination – Best R&B Instrumental Performance for “Where Are We Going”
NAACP Image Awards
- 2018 NAACP Image Award WINNER – Music Makes A Difference Honor
- 2018 NAACP Image Award Nomination – Outstanding Male Artist
- 2018 NAACP Image Award Nomination – Outstanding Album for In It To Win It
- 2018 NAACP Image Award Nomination – Outstanding Duo, Group, or Collaboration for “I’m Blessed”
- 2016 NAACP Image Award Nomination – Outstanding Male Artist
- 2016 NAACP Image Award Nomination – Outstanding Album for Forever Charlie
- 2016 NAACP Image Award Nomination – Outstanding Song Traditional for “Goodnight Kisses”
- 2014 NAACP Image Award WINNER – Outstanding Album for Love, Charlie
- 2014 NAACP Image Award Nomination – Outstanding Male Artist
- 2010 NAACP Image Award Nomination – Outstanding Male Artist
Charlie Wilson + Kanye West Freestyle
Charlie Wilson Tribute (2013 BET Awards) – Justin Timberlake, Snoop Dogg, Pharrell, Charlie Wilson
- November 5, 2013 – SoulTracks Reader’s Choice Award – Major Label Album of the Year – Charlie Wilson ‘Love, Charlie’
- June 30, 2013 – Lifetime Achievement Award presented to Charlie Wilson at the BET Awards
- January 2013 – Lifetime Achievement Award presented to Charlie Wilson by the Trumpet Awards Foundation
- December 2011 – Billboard Magazine names Charlie Wilson the No. 2 Adult R&B Artist for 2011
- December 2011 – Billboard Magazine names “You Are” the No. 2 Urban Adult Song for 2011
- December 2011 – Mediabase names Charlie Wilson No. 1 Adult R&B Artist for 2011
- December 2011 – Mediabase names “You Are” the No. 1 Urban Adult Song for 2011
- February 2010 – NAACP Image Award Nomination for Outstanding Male Artist
- December 2009 – Billboard Magazine names Charlie Wilson No. 1 Adult R&B Artist for 2009
- December 2009 – Billboard Magazine names “There Goes My Baby” the No. 1 Urban Adult Song for 2009
- November 2009 – Soul Train Icon Award presented to Charlie Wilson
- September 2005 – BMI Icon Award presented to Charlie Wilson
- January 29, 2013 – New York, NY – City of New York Proclamation honoring Charlie Wilson for his lifetime achievement in the music industry and his courageous and continued efforts to spread awareness about sobriety and prostate cancer by Inez E. Dickens, Council Member, 9th District, Manhattan
- October 12, 2012 – Baton Rouge, LA – Charlie Wilson receives Key to the City by Councilwoman C. Denise Marcelle
- May 8, 2011 – The County of Allegheny, PA, declares “Charlie Wilson Day” by Councilman Bill Robinson
- May 7, 2011 – Atlantic City, NJ – Charlie Wilson receives Key to the City by Mayor Lorenzo Langford
- May 6, 2011 – The City of St. Louis, declares “Charlie Wilson Day” and includes a resolution in its minutes commemorating Charlie Wilson’s success and accomplishments
- May 14, 2010 – The City Council of the City of Pittsburgh declared May 14 “Charlie Wilson Day” for his continued commitment to educating men about the importance of yearly checkups and early screening for prostate cancer.
- April 1, 2010 – The Cook County Board of Commissioners in Cook County, IL and Mayor Richard Daly declared April 1 “Charlie Wilson Day.”
- February 17–27, 2010 – United States Certificate of Appreciation from the Area Support Group – Kuwait, Southeast Asia Tour for Outstanding Support of the Troops
- February 18, 2010 – Certificate of Appreciation from the Military Headquarters, Camp Buehring for Outstanding Support to the Troops in Kuwait
- November 27, 2009 – City of Buffalo, Executive Chamber Proclamation names November 27, “Charlie Wilson Day”
- November 27, 2009 – 100 Black Men Greater Buffalo Chapter Making A Difference Health Award presented to Charlie Wilson
- November 2009 – The Soldiers of Fort Hood present a plaque to Charlie Wilson “For Outstanding Support during ‘Your Salute to the Troops.’”
- July 31, 2009 – Proclamation from the City of Cincinnati to Charlie Wilson for “Pampering the Spirit Of Cancer Survivors and Caregivers.”
- July 16, 2009 – Indiana Black Expo presented the Rev. Charles R. Williams Excellence Award to Charlie Wilson for his commitment to educating the African American Community about Prostate Cancer.
- June 2009 – Tulsa, OK Key To The City presented to Charlie Wilson and the Gap Band
- June 2009 – City of Los Angeles, State of California presents The Trailblazer Award to Charlie Wilson
- April 6, 2009 – The Prostate Cancer Foundation created The Charlie Wilson Creativity Award which was presented to Adam Dicker, MD, PhD, Karen Knudsen, PhD – Thomas Jefferson University for their work on “Self-Seeding and Radiation Therapy: A New Strategy Against Metastatic Prostate Cancer – Preventing Circulating Prostate Cancer Cells from ‘Re-seeding’ in the Prostate May Change Behavior of Metastatic Cells.
- February 20 – March 1, 2009 – United States Certificate of Appreciation from the Area Support Group – Kuwait, Southeast Asia Tour for Contribution to significantly enhance the morale of the military and civilian personnel assigned and attached to the Area Support Group – Kuwait
- February 12, 2009 – Certificate of Appreciation presented to Charlie Wilson from the 3D Heavy Brigade Combat Team, 1st Cavalry Division For Outstanding Support to the Soldiers of the 3DC “Greywolf” Heavy Brigade Combat Team 1st Cavalry Division
- June 5, 2008 – American Society of Young Musicians presented the Trailblazer Award to Hall of Fame Inductee Charlie Wilson
- June 25, 2005 – Museum of African American History present a plaque to Charlie Wilson and the Gap Band for their Tribute to Black Excellence
- February 8, 2004 – 23rd AMIC Grammy Celebration Honors the Gap Band
- May 11, 2002 – Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education Acting Through Langston University presented to Charlie Wilson an Honorary Master of Fine Arts Degree
- June 19, 2001 – Sound City Music Achievement Award (KRNB Radio 105.7) to Charlie Wilson, “In Recognition of Your Outstanding Contribution to the Music Industry”
- June 18, 2001 – Distinguished Alumnus Award from Langston University, Langston, OK presented to Charles Kent Wilson
- June 18, 2001 – Oklahoma Jazz Hall of Fame presented to the Gap Band the Award for the Arts & Humanities “In Honor Of Your 25th Year in the Entertainment and Music Industry.
- February 19, 2001 – County of Los Angeles Commendation to Charlie Wilson. Congratulations as an honoree of The 20th Annual Pre-Grammy Party
- You Turn My Life Around (1992)
- Bridging the Gap (2000)
- Charlie, Last Name Wilson (2005)
- Uncle Charlie (2009)
- Just Charlie (2010)
- Love, Charlie (2013)
- Forever Charlie (2015)
- In It to Win It (2017)
Website : Charlie Wilson – Official Website
Reference & More Information : Charlie Wilson
Here’s Some of Charlie’s Music and other songs he was featured on :
Kanye West – See Me Now (feat. Beyonce, Charlie Wilson, and Big Sean)
Kanye West – No Mistakes feat. Charlie Wilson & Kid Cudi [YE Album]
Kanye West performs Bound 2 | Later… with Jools Holland – BBC
G.O.O.D Friday – Kanye West Big Sean Kid Cudi Charlie wilson
1 comments on “Charlie Wilson”
To know more About (American rapper)Rapper Coolio Tap on the below link
About Rapper Coolio
Rapper Coolio Personal Life
Rapper Coolio Awards And Achievements