His attorneys have hoped that his 2022 conviction of child pornography charges would be overturned, but R. Kelly will remain behind bars. The disgraced singer has faced several sexual abuse charges after shocking allegations continued to surface. Following last year’s outcome, Kelly’s lawyers argued there wasn’t “enough evidence to sustain a guilty verdict on all six counts Kelly was convicted of.”
However, a judge disagreed, and the conviction stands. This means Kelly will face sentencing next week, on February 23. Defense attorneys claimed that an alleged victim known as “Jane” perjured herself on the stand. They said she lied about not wanting restitution following the singer’s conviction. To them, it meant she was motivated by means “that were not entirely honest.”
Read More: R. Kelly’s Lawyers Claim He’s Unfairly Targeted, Cite Elvis Presley Dating 14-Year-Old Wife
For decades, the hitmaker has been at the center of allegations of inappropriate sexual conduct. He was previously acquitted of charges related to child pornography back in the 1990s. However, rumors and gossip continued until the explosive arrival of Surviving R. Kelly. Last September, Kelly was found guilty of the child pornography charges in addition to three counts of enticing a minor. Defense attorneys told the judge that evidence didn’t prove that Kelly “enticed” anyone.
“Jane testified about how Kelly gradually persuaded her into sexual activity with him,” the judge reportedly wrote in court documents. “Jane described how Kelly induced her into making Videos One through Three and that Kelly positioned the camera and told Jane exactly what to do and say while having sex with him.”
Read More: R. Kelly Cases: Chicago Prosecutor Drops Sex Abuse Charges In State Case
The singer has also already been convicted in New York. In that case, he was convicted of racketeering and sex trafficking and was sentenced to 30 years. Next week, he faces upwards of 90 years in prison.